I am a software developer and product manager
My passion is working code, design and data into digital products that make people happy. I am in my element building complex web applications; whether designing APIs, building MVPs, or crafting intuitive front-ends.
My organisational skills, strong communication and exceptional execution also make me a mean product manager, tech lead or CTO.
My technical speciality is Ruby on Rails, and building SaaS applications that juggle lots of data; anything from school comparison websites to social networks. However, I am someone interested finding solutions to all kinds of problems, not just programming challenges.
My startup experience means I've also acquired strong supporting skills in design, analytics and marketing. This gives me a big advantage in understanding product development inside-out, and my technical expertise lets me stay in touch with all aspects of the product lifecycle.
I apply a hacker mindset to all kinds of problems, from user aquisition to revenue growth to hiring staff. I strive to build products that truly embody a company's crusade; igniting user desires whilst building sustainable revenue.
I also care about open source, and founded a meditation community called OpenSit, which I designed and built from scratch. It brings together my love of modern meditation and technology.
- As CTO of SchoolGuide.co.uk, I had responsibility for new feature development, product roadmap, data quality, and delivery of 30,000 UK schools worth of data. Technical point of contact for both Rightmove and Mumsnet, two of the UK's biggest property and parent sites
- Building the MVP and managing product roadmap for Natter, one of the UK's fastest growing social networks. Also managed development of iOS and Android apps
- Building an MVP of a children's email service for Kids.co.uk, due to launch next year
- Development of an internal MIS which pulled data from a white label portal, and produced daily reports that informed advertising spend on different sources
- Development of a voice-based social network called MyTalky
- Drupal module development for Microserve
- You can see more details on my employment history on LinkedIn
- Other skills Recruiting and mentoring junior developers; management of subcontractors; scaling sites for 100x traffic projections; strong experience with Open Data; years of Linux experience; extensive JSON API development and testing; Rackspace server management; fluent in Analytics; lots of (painful) DoubleClick experience; AdWords campaign management; responsibility for advertising spend across affiliate platforms; production of monthly reports linking site performance and visitor data with KPIs; assistance in building grant proposals
- Databases Confident with relational and NoSQL solutions. I default to Postgres, but have extensive MongoDB experience too. Strong experience utilising redis and memcached for caching and autocomplete solutions
- Testing My favourite test suite is rspec ......
- Design For design and mockups, I default to pen and paper, and then Sketch when I want something more concrete
- Toolchain After years using Ubuntu, I now work on a Macbook pro with zsh, iTerm2, Sublime Text 3, git, Evernote, Todoist, and a single 4K screen which provides more glorious Retina real-estate
In Free Time
- My interest in modern meditation and online communities lead me to design and build OpenSit
- I wrote a gem called gem-gratitude that scans your dependencies, and tells you about any open issues you can help out on. I made it as part of 24 Pull Requests, to help people give back to the projects they depend on
- I am making my own hacker news client in React.js
- When I was 15 I wrote a Perl script called confstore that got featured in a Japanese Linux magazine!
- See my other contributions