Hello sunshine ☀️
It’s been a little while since I sent out an update. This is the first edition of an expanded newsletter that will go out less frequently, but with more interesting links and reads. Let me know what you think, and what else you want to see!
New on how to human being
- There is a profound joy in being able to make a staple like your own bread. And sourdough is the king of breads. Now you can knock some up yourself by following my guide to making sourdough.
- “Do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity” — check out my 2 minute summary of Hanlon’s razor, and how it can make you a happier human.
- The low down on why I started reading obituaries 💀
- I shared my unjustified fears about writing & publishing online, also detailing the explosive viral growth how to human being has witnessed since launch.
- And finally a short piece on why I chose Ghost to run my blog, and why they are a company worth paying attention to.
What I’ve Been Reading
- We’re used to our phones and laptops improving with updates, but recently Tesla released a software update that improved the breaking distance of their cars by almost 20 feet.
- Can you think yourself fit? “The journal Health Psychology recently published a fascinating (and well-written) scientific study suggesting that how fit you think you are affects your risk of death more than how fit you actually are.”
Listening To On Loop
Running Ridiculous Distances
A week today I’ll be nervously packing my gear ready to run 5 half marathons back-to-back across the Cotswolds, with 8 Eiffel Towers worth of hills thrown in for fun. As if that wasn’t enough, we now have a “mini-heatwave” en route to add a whole other layer of difficulty.
After struggling with an anxiety disorder for a few years, I decided to use this ridiculous endeavour to fundraise for Mind, the mental health charity. It’s going well, but I want to raise more. You can read my full story and donate here. For anything you can give, thank you. It will mean a lot, as the challenge and the Sun conspire to make this a long, tough day!
I finished 3 months without booze, and completed my Sober Spring! It’s been a surprising experience, and I’ll explain why in a forthcoming post…
p.s. I share pretty pictures more frequently on Instagram! Come say hi.